Thursday, September 9, 2010

Lesson 2: Registering Cars in Other States

How could moving get more difficult? Somehow Florida figured out a way. I contacted my insurance company and figured out that insurance in high because of the no fault state thing (which I will explain in a moment) and because 1 in 4 drivers in Florida are uninsured.

No fault as my friend commented on an earlier post is a state by state law. Indiana was a state that based accident claims on the percentage of fault each person had. This can lead to more lawsuits. Florida decided, along with other states, that to avoid lawsuits they would make personal injury (pain and suffering, inconvenience, etc) no fault, meaning the auto insurance company will pay for medical expenses (that is the injured person's own insurance company.) The actual damage to the vehicle is still always based on fault.

While speaking to the insurance agent, he says that he will give me a temp card that will allow me to get my car registered...I thought he meant the plates... No he meant to get my car title changed to Florida. You have to take you title from the other state (In my case, Indiana), you registration from the other state, proof of FL insurance,and $127.60, to the tax collector's office. With further investigation, you also must have the vehicle VIN verified by a notary public or police officer! The tax collector (no really, there is a building that says tax collector, and the tax collector's name on the building itself...for some reason thing struck me as strange. We do not have this in Indiana.) will change the titles from the other state to FL and issues licence plates. Registering your vehicle must be done within 10 days of when you become a resident...ie, you sign your lease. 10 days!

Then at the DMV, you take your passport or birth certificate, your SS card, and 2 forms of Proof of residency and get your drivers license. This is of couse not in the same location, or even close to the same location as the tax collector. The insurance agent recommended making an appointment because generally you don't take something that you need and you have to wait forever in line as well. So I guess you make an appointment so that your first trip is a quick rejection of your paperwork and then you make another appointment? I did try to make an appointment and the first available was October 11! You are supposed to have the new license within 30 days...hmmm, interesting.

In Indiana, all of this can be done by 1 visit to the DMV, title, plates, and license.

No comments:

Post a Comment